List of things to carry and other important instruction for your trip to Valley of Flowers
Please read the whole page carefully
List of things to carry
We will require two kinds of clothing one is normal summer one and one for high altitude destinations like Ghangaria and Badrinath. WE will be staying in Ghangaria for 3-4 nights and in Badrinath for a night. Temperatures in Ghangaria and Badrinath would be 5-10 degree Celsius in evening and nights, so we need some thermals. While trekking generally we do not need thermals except at Hemkund Sahib. Keeping in view of this following is necessary.
- T shirts or shirts required for 9-10 days.
- On trek we recommend capri pant as it may be raining and it will not get wet from bottom.
- For thermals you should take a light weight jacket, something like a wind cheater of good quality. You can also take a woolen sweater to wear in the evening along with the jacket.
- Gloves and hat if you wish.
You will need bags for three different purposes. First is the main big bag in which you will be putting all of your luggage, it can be of any type. Second bag will be the bag in which you will be carrying some of your luggage from Govindghat to Ghangaira. Of course porters can be hired. The third bag will be a day pack which you will be carrying all the time on the trek. These bags are explained below.
- The main bag : It can be of any type but a big one. So that whole of the luggage can be put in it. You can optionally use two bags of 2nd category explained below. This bag has to be left behind in the vehicle at Govindghat when you go for the trek.
- The bag used for taking luggage from Govindghat to Ghangaria: This bag should be of moderate size as you will be spending four nights at Ghangaria and will be taking only luggage for that. This bag should be soft so that it can be put in basket used by porters. Check the below images for your reference.
- This is small bag to be carried by you all the time and each one in the group should have this. You will be putting essentials in it, like camera, extra batteries, your valuables, Umbrella, medicines, eatables for the trek, water bottle and other items of this kind. Bags with least own weight are recommended. Waterproof bags is to be preferred.
These bags will be carried by Porters / Ponies. Pictures are given below.
You will need a pair of shoes. Please check our detailed page (Link given below) on what type of shoes is necessary for the trek. Please buy shoes well in advance so that you wear them before coming for the trek. New shoes may cause blisters while on the trek.
Following is a detailed list of other items.
- Light weight torch. Preferably LED torch.
- Camera with extra batteries. Camera with high optical zoom is nice for bird’s photography. There will be some flowers in inaccessible area you can zoom them also. You should have at least 8 GB memory card in it, you may have extra memory cards.
- Charger for camera.
- Multi-plug extension box, if you are coming in a group one extension for 3 people will be enough. There will be recharge plugs in rooms in Ghangaria but if you need to recharge more than one thing at a time you will need it.
- Important medicines such as muscle relaxant, antibiotics, tablet to prevent vomiting while travelling by road, crape bandage, band-aid (If shoes cut your feet ), crocin, some antacid and other medicines as per your personal requirement.
- Faviquick (A good quality adhesive), it can be very handy in case of breaking of shoes.
- Umbrella and not the rain coat because raincoat will be very uncomfortable while trekking. The rains in the area comes and goes very frequently so taking raincoat off and putting it again and again in the bag will be uncomfortable, moreover it will be airtight so you will be sweating a lot after wearing it and trekking. Whereas you umbrella can be put outside your bag itself in the space generally used to put water bottle.
- Polythene bags with zip-lock facility, you may take 5” by 7 “. They will be very handy on puting your electronic items in rainy season. You can also use them to separate medicines, toiletries and electronics etc.
- A good quality sunscreen, it is very important in this area. You will need to apply it 3-4 times daily.
- Dry fruits, chocolates etc you will need them while trekking, the idea is high energy low weight items.
- Instant drink mix powders.
- A note book and/or writing paper and pen.
- Binoculars (Optional).
- Some water purifier tablets. Generally we use natural water at Ghangaria. If you wish you can bring some tablets to purify it.
- Toiletries, N.B as little as possible, if you are traveling with friends try to share toiletries.
- Pen drive filled with your favorite songs.
- Needle and thread can be very handy some time.
- At least 4 copies of your identity proof. They may be required while checking in to hotel.
- Knee Caps for you knees. They will protect your knees while trekking, they are really very helpful.
- A lock that can be put on your room in Ghangaria. (Optional)
You can make a G.O.R.P. (also called trail mix) stands for “Good Ole Raisons And Peanuts”. But the ingredients don’t always have to be that boring. Nuts, seeds, dried fruit, chocolate, candies, crackers and cereals can be combined to make this staple backpacking snack that packs a lot of carbohydrates and calories.
One cup of GORP (depending on ingredients) can provide as many as 700 calories.
On a backpacking trip you have to drink a lot of water. But after a while the taste of water gets old. Flavored drink mixessolve that problem. Sports drinks like Tang provide much-needed electrolytes, salt and sugar. These drinks will be handy when drinking water from natural water sources. Ice tea powder can also be is also very tasty and a good option.
Apart from these things to carry you need to take into consideration the following important instructions.
Are there any ATMs after you start your journey from Haridwar?
There are ATMs on the way but since it will be very tight schedule already we will NOT be stopping for cash withdrawal on the way. You should take out cash from Haridwar only a day before the start of the trip.
How much cash you should carry?
To calculate the amount of cash to be carried you need to take the following things in mind.
- Balance amount for the tour package to be paid to me.
- You will have to bear the cost of meals for approx 3 days.
- You may have to take a pony from Govindghat to Ghangaria, Ghangaria to Hemkund Sahib, and Ghangaria to Govindghat back. Pony will cost you approx 800 Rs for a day.
- If you are willing to take a helicopter between Govindghat and Ghangaria it will cost you approx Rs. 3500 for a one way trip.
- If you are not taking a pony you need to hire a porter from Govindghat to Ghangaria and back. It will cost you Rs. 800 for one way.
- Some cash for other personal unforeseen expenses.
All the prices are indicative only, actual prices may differ depending upon demand and supply.
Mobile network availability for your trek to valley of flowers.
Mobile network will be off and on once we leave Rishikesh and enter the hilly region. Mobile will be working when we enter in cities. You should carry different service provider’s SIM, but BSNL and Idea are recommended. Once you start your trek from Govindghat you will have a feeble signal till 3 kilometers and after that you will enter a no signal zone. At helipad in Ghangaria you can witness a feeble signal of BSNL and IDEA but generally it is unusable. At Ghangaria you can make outgoing calls @ Rs. 10 per minutes. There are many PCO available. Actually they use Idea SIM and an antenna to enhance the signal. At Badrinath most of the SIM work. Both prepaid and postpaid SIM work in Uttarakhand, there is no problem unlike Jammu and Kashmir where only postpaid SIM works.
If you have any other question please ask below, Mr Devkant will answer it, and it will be helpful for others also.